This post is about the new edition of a popular Physics textbook.
The new 15th Edition of Young and Freedman’s University Physics with Modern Physics, now in SI Units, draws on instructor insights to help students see patterns and make connections between problem types. Students learn to recognize when to use similar steps in solving the same problem type and develop an understanding for problem solving approaches, rather than simply plugging values into an equation. Here’s how:
- Scaffolded problem sets, building in complexity and levels of reasoning – help students see patterns and make connections with principles and strategies they’ll use in other problems
- ‘Key Concept’ statements – summarize the key ideas used and how to apply them
- End-of-Chapter problem sets – reinforce problem-solving skills and build conceptual understanding
- Challenge problems – develop reasoning powers through multiple steps
- Estimation problems – teach how to analyze problem scenarios, assess data and work with orders of magnitude
- Added ‘Caution paragraphs’ – focus on typical misconceptions and student problem areas.
Developing student problem-solving skills for success in physics
Mastering Physics, our leading online teaching, assessment and grading tool, gives your students the best platform to tackle key concepts, build problem-solving skills and improve results. It will also help you target gaps in student understanding, ensure they’re prepared before every class and reach every student with personalized feedback.
Around the world instructors see positive outcomes with Mastering Physics
Analysis of course data from Penn State University (2018) showed that students in Introductory Physics courses who did better on their Mastering Physics homework tended to perform better in course exams and external standardized assessments. Penn State emphasized the importance of using Mastering homework for practice and learning rather than as a primary way to earn course credit.
Request your sample copy of this title today by emailing asktheHEteam.firstname.lastname@example.org with the ISBN 9781292314730 and providing your contact details.
We hope that you’ll choose Young & Freedman and Mastering for your next course.